1. I hadn't been running when I signed up. It was January when I signed up, I literally had not ran since October. And when I ran in October it wasn't what I consider "good" running and definitely was not for distance! Since I was cleared in June by my doctor to run I had only done it a handful of times so I was definitely not in shape. Looking back, I really hadn't ran consistently since before I got pregnant with the girls and that was August of 2011. Yeah, that's a LONG time.
2. April is kinda a busy month for us. All within 2 weeks I had the race, the girls' birthday party, family coming to town from Boston & Illinois, and we have the start of Spring garage sales (which I'm selling a TON of stuff). So I'm a lil busy... Plus Scott was out of town the first week of April so it was even more challenging than normal to go out on long runs.
3. My husband doesn't get home till 6 (at the earliest) and I spend 11+ hours alone with the girls which means I am tired and training doesn't always sound fun at 8 pm when I finally can get away. Seriously, I love my job (SAHM) but I am more worn out than I ever was as a practicing attorney. Going out and running 5 miles on a treadmill at 8 pm after a full day with the girls was hard to motivate myself to do. I realize that's life but it was a new adjustment for me and I'm learning how to accommodate everything in life. [not complaining, really, just stating what was hard for me!]
But in the end I came, I ran, I finished, and I actually enjoyed it!
I ran the first few miles with Erin, we started off slow and it worked for me. I felt good and was chill so I just kept running. Eventually Erin and I separated so I spotted a pacer and kept her in my sight.
I saw Scott a little past mile 9 and he was surprised at how good I looked. I was actually a little surprised at how good I felt! My longest training run was about 9 miles but it has included a little walking. I was expecting to feel worse or to have to walk part of it. But nope! I ran the whole thing and only felt like death during the 12th mile. Luckily Aunt Cathy popped up during that 12th mile and ran a little while with me. She also encouraged me to keep going because the finish line was just down the street. She helped a LOT!
At the finish line I met up with Kate & Ash, along with my family, and the McCunniffs, while we waited for Erin. We all finished and all did great! So proud of my girls!
-------------------
Of course 2 days later the bombs in Boston happened and shook us all up a bit. Of course my first thought was about Jeff. I know from what's he told me that marathon Monday is a holiday in Boston and people always support the runners (something he has done in the past). I didn't know if him or Laura were down there but luckily he responded quickly when I texted him and they both were safe.
I don't think I need to bring up how scary it is to think about how vulnerable we all probably are in the moments when we least think about it. I've been at several finish lines, for my own races and when watching Jef, but I've never felt like I was in danger. I'm sure those poor spectators and runners felt the same way.
My prayers go out to those hurt & all those that are effected.
:: Kate, Ashley, Erin, and I after finishing!::
::Me and my girls after I finished... 2 of my biggest inspirations to keep running!::
::(left) A year ago from the race, 35 weeks pregnant, and ALL belly!
What a difference a year makes ;)::

No comments:
Post a Comment