For the sake of ease (and my sanity!) I'm going to combine these two topics!
Christmas:
This year was different for me and Scott in many ways. We knew going into Christmas I wouldn't be seeing my brother over the holidays. Jeff & Laura came in over Thanksgiving primarily while we were in Illinois. Scott mentioned changing our plans but I didn't think it was fair so we stuck with our usual routine. So I got to see Jeff for about a day and a half this whole holiday season. Major bummer but I'm not dwelling on it... I'll just say this: I missed him tons but I understand that this is what happens as we get older and start our own families. There's responsibility in being an adult and sometimes we have to give up some of our selfish tendencies and desires.
We had planned on being in Roanoke the 21st-23rd but as the 21st approached we started getting really nervous about the weather. After talking to his Dad, Scott decided that we would make a decision on the morning of the 21st about whether we would head up there or not. Unfortunately the day came and the weather was not cooperating. We were looking at the weather reports and getting all sorts of bad news. 20 minutes into our drive we would've hit freezing rain and stayed in it for most of our drive. MODOT was even urging people not to be on the roads. And as we planned we heard reports from counties encountering the storm headed our way about cars sliding off the road and help not being able to get to them. I had told Scott that it was his decision and I would support him either way, so he made a difficult decision to cancel our trip. I know it was hard on him because this was the first year he didn't see his parents and sister for Christmas. As hard as it was we both feel that he made the right decision especially as the weather progressed throughout the day. Ultimately we needed to make sure we would be safe... have I mentioned lately that sometimes these adult decisions suck?
There was a positive way Christmas was different this year- we were in our own house Christmas morning!! That hasn't happened since we've been married. It was nice to wake up, get the girls up, and let them start going to town on their gifts. We made brunch and had my parents over for what seemed like a marathon of unwrapping presents- 98% for the girls of course :)
So far I think the biggest success stories for Christmas have been the kitchen set we bought them and the new baby doll sets Nana & Papa bought. The girls didn't see the trampoline yet but my dad mentioned we can always save that for their birthday, which is very true. E&C are loving pushing their baby dolls around in their strollers and letting the babies borrow Chuck, Spunky & blankies. It is too cute to watch them. We say they are "practicing" for the new baby... believe me, they need a lot of practice!
Scott was excited to get his new snow blower. After 5 years of hearing about it I finally caved and bought it. Luckily he wasn't at Lowe's with me to hear me complain... if you've ever heard the Best Buy/big screen story you can imagine that but in Lowe's with a snow blower and my parents. And my darn Dad, well, the sales guy said I'd be fine getting the mid-low range one based on our driveway size. My Dad, nope, he said get the big one. So for an additional $300 we got the big one. High maintenance men.
Santa/Scott/Me (I ordered it!) brought me a new Michael Kors watch and it is be-a-utiful. We did well :)
Despite the sadness from not seeing all of our family we still managed to have a good holiday and focus on what matters- health, happiness, and celebrating the good in life. It's always nice to see the girls light up and giggle, you can't be unhappy around them.
So here's my weekly update, that I actually get to post- yay!
how far along: 14 weeks
size of baby: according to the bump a lemon, about 3.4 inches long and weighing 1.5 ounces. Baby is growing lanugo and his or her kidneys are making urine.
weight gain: As of yesterday morning (I forgot to weigh myself today) I was still in normal range. How sad am I going to be when that is no longer my answer... Last week at the doctor even at the end of the day (with clothes on) I was still in normal range. That was positive, it also meant I was up almost 2lbs from my appointment 4 weeks prior. Scott did mention yesterday that to him I looked pregnant... that started a bunch of clarifying questions though from which I learned this- I don't look actually pregnant, he can just tell a difference because there's a lil pooch where there's normally nothing. It's not that I care if I gain weight or look pregnant but for the sake of my job and questions, I'm hoping to hold off as long as possible before it is blatantly obvious. Granted with the girls I thought it was obvious at week 16 but then at week 24 had several people to find out that not only was I pregnant, but expecting twins. wth.
maternity clothes: Not yet, but I did put on my to do list for this weekend to bring them up from storage. I figure it will sneak up on me so I should be prepared for this.
symptoms: Holy nausea and puking. Last weekend was ridiculous. Sunday night I was in bed before 6 because I couldn't stop puking if I was standing up or moving. It. Was. Terrible. No amount of meds or anything was going to help. Luckily I was ok for Christmas Eve and Christmas day was not perfect but ok.
cravings/aversions: I don't even know. Seriously, nothing sounds good at times but I know I need to eat. Iced tea is still amazing to me. God love my parents for making the tea at Christmas Eve dinner sweeter than normal on my behalf. Sweet tea is ah-mazing. Seriously, my mom is worried about this kid and caffeine but I assured her based on the amount of cherry pepsi I drank with the girls we are good. That maybe didn't reassure her too much as my non-talking 20 month olds went screaming past her... Gummy bears are also amazing. For some reason they hit the spot right now!
movement: nope
sleep: Not terrible but not great. I am ok falling asleep but I keep waking up really early and then I fall back asleep for like an hour. This morning I had the CRAZIEST dream. It involved a random ferret that looked more like a lizard, and me having to sacrifice it an alligator that was chasing us. And it wasn't my ferret/lizard. It was these random people and I was on my way to give it back to them but this alligator really wanted to eat us so I had to toss the ferret/lizard and run. Luckily I woke up before I had to have that awkward dream conversation with the people the ferret/lizard belonged to. That would've been awkward...
After re-reading that I've decided I was drugged last night. No normal, sane person has a dream like that. And it was VERY realistic. I remember with the girls I would have crazy dreams too and people would tell me it was a pregnancy thing. I don't understand that but usually I don't have crazy dreams like this so maybe I should expect it for the next 26 weeks. Lord help us all.
gender: I don't know... part of me says boy but I felt that way with the girls. Then at times I refer to it as a she in my thoughts (which I also remember doing with the girls) but that could be because I'm only used to girls. The doctor heard the heartbeat at 150 and guessed boy till I laughed and told him about the puking theory. Plus I went back and checked the girls' baby book- they were right around there too. So I don't put much stock in these old wives tales. The doctor gave me a referral to a lady who will do a gender scan at 16 weeks so cross our fingers that the next 2 weeks goes quickly.
looking forward to: Not puking. Not wanting to puke. Being able to enjoy food again.
worries: See all previous weeks. Serious paranoia.
what's different this time: Chasing 2 toddlers around. Not being able to just sit in court and have a bailiff walk all my orders up because I was being lazy. Being so blissfully happy to be pregnant (I am VERY happy don't get me wrong, but last time was a different situation) that I didn't care how many times I puked in a day.
milestones: Second trimester, yay!
best moment this week: Telling the Craig family at Christmas Eve... Everybody was so happy for us and seeing the surprise on Grandma and Aunt Cathy's faces makes me smile just thinking about it :)
gender: I don't know... part of me says boy but I felt that way with the girls. Then at times I refer to it as a she in my thoughts (which I also remember doing with the girls) but that could be because I'm only used to girls. The doctor heard the heartbeat at 150 and guessed boy till I laughed and told him about the puking theory. Plus I went back and checked the girls' baby book- they were right around there too. So I don't put much stock in these old wives tales. The doctor gave me a referral to a lady who will do a gender scan at 16 weeks so cross our fingers that the next 2 weeks goes quickly.
looking forward to: Not puking. Not wanting to puke. Being able to enjoy food again.
worries: See all previous weeks. Serious paranoia.
what's different this time: Chasing 2 toddlers around. Not being able to just sit in court and have a bailiff walk all my orders up because I was being lazy. Being so blissfully happy to be pregnant (I am VERY happy don't get me wrong, but last time was a different situation) that I didn't care how many times I puked in a day.
milestones: Second trimester, yay!
best moment this week: Telling the Craig family at Christmas Eve... Everybody was so happy for us and seeing the surprise on Grandma and Aunt Cathy's faces makes me smile just thinking about it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment